Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Chemosensory Genomics of Stored Product Insects
Kansas State University
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Position Description and Responsibilities:
The Department of Entomology at Kansas State University (Manhattan, KS) invites applicants for a Postdoctoral Research Fellow position to conduct research on chemosensory genomics of stored product insects.
The successful applicant will work on a cooperative research project with the USDA/ARS to annotate chemosensory genes from stored product insects, determine whether these insects respond to similar food and/or microbial volatiles and other semiochemicals, determine which compounds in these volatile blends elicit antennal and/or responses, determine if orthologous genes are differentially expressed in olfactory tissues in closely related species, assess whether stored product insects in other taxonomic families also exhibit antennal and behavioral responses to the volatiles, and determine whether these insects have homologous chemosensory genes with similar functions.
The research activities may include gene annotation, design and performance of laboratory experiments, and data collection and analysis. The successful applicant will be expected to help prepare manuscripts and project reports, and present research at scientific conferences. The incumbent will also be expected to help train graduate and undergraduate students in research whenever such opportunities occur. The position will be supervised by Dr. Kun Yan Zhu and the collaborating USDA/ARS scientists Drs. Erin Scully, Rob Morrison and James Campbell (Manhattan, KS).
Required Education and Experience:
• Ph.D. degree in entomology or a related discipline with relevant coursework in entomology, biochemistry, physiology, molecular biology, and/or bioinformatics
• Research experience in physiology, chemical ecology, behavioral ecology, molecular biology, bioinformatics and/or functional genomics using insects as experimental organisms
• Excellent knowledge in insect chemosensory system and technical skills in bioinformatics, and characterization and functional analyses of insect genes
• Excellent organizational, and written and interpersonal communication skills
• Cover letter of application elaborating qualifications and research experience
• Detailed curriculum vitae
• Copies of university transcripts (M.S. and Ph.D.)
• Three recommendation letters directly submitted by the referees
Review of applications will start on October 1, 2021 and proceed until position is filled. For full consideration, applicants should submit their complete applications by October 1, 2021.
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
In connection with the application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a background screen on applicant as part of the process of considering the candidacy as an employee. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
Timeline and Support:
Preferred start date for this position is October 31, 2021. Funding is available for two years and is renewable dependent upon the performance. Salary ranges $47,500-48,000/year plus the State of Kansas employee benefits.